Pages

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Journal Challenge Review

     Remember this post about the journal challenge I took? Time to (finally) follow up. It certainly was difficult some days, because laziness, but my friend and I finished all 30 days! I was surprised that some prompts were pretty eye-opening and introspective. The most basic prompts like "things you like and dislike about yourself" or "something you feel strongly about" really got me soul searching. I thought, "dang, Pinterest, these journal challenges, although probably written by teenage girls, are actually kinda deep..."

     Other prompts also caused me to look at the smaller parts of my day to day, such as "what you wore today" or "bullet your day." It sounds lame, but I was grateful for the chance to document this time of my life in a simple way, and to be able to picture these seemingly insignificant days when I read those entries years from now is a sweet possibility.

     Some days I didn't want to write because it forced me to think about things I usually avoid, like my fears, my pet peeves, or something I want to say to an ex. Simultaneously, though, I am thankful that I put the difficult words to paper. A strange sense of relief came in scratching down my thoughts, but it was accompanied by a bit of self-consciousness, because writing feelings down, making them tangible, left me vulnerable. At the end of the day though, I'm a believer in the importance of vulnerability for making progress and for learning about yourself and others. Got to practice what I preach. Within the binds of my journal is utter honesty, and I'm proud of that.

     Your turn to be surprised. If a month is daunting (trust me, I get it), here's a week long challenge instead, with my favorite prompts from the bunch:

  1. Five ways to win your heart
  2. Something you feel strongly about
  3. Your family
  4. A problem you've had
  5. Something that you're proud of
  6. Your fears 
  7. Five words/phrases that always make you laugh
     Give it a chance, y'all. You never know how it could affect you. Besides, it's your journal...nobody ever has to know you even wrote it down! 

Thanks for reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment