Pages

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Old Soul

Tonight I watched that Blake Lively movie The Age of Adaline, and it made me all starry-eyed as I thought of the charms of older days. The clothes, the cars, the hair, the speech...it's amazing how much the world around us can change in just one or two generations.

For example, I love that back in the early years of the 20th century, dancing was regular and expected. We hardly get any opportunities to dance these days. No, jumping around at a party doesn't count. I'm talkin' about a man coming over to your table, taking your hand, and leading you onto the dance floor where you sway with your right hand in his left. Oh, it gives me butterflies just thinking of it. I think it's one of the most romantic things in the world. After all, "the best things happen while you're dancing."

I love that, for the better part of the last 100 years, they dressed up when they went out, even for groceries. Yes, it sounds a bit time-consuming, but so is choosing a caption for Instagram. People really made an effort to look their best, stand up straight, and dress appropriately for whatever occasion. And, I must applaud the women of the '50s who wore heels seemingly always. Hope they got some mad calves--that is hard work. I adore the flattering full skirts and overcoats, the men wearing hats. Not to mention, both men and women took great care of their hair. It was perfectly coiffed or pinned, with women showing off gorgeous, full curls that didn't hang in their faces. I love how polished people looked.

Through the wiser eyes of retrospect, let's adopt the good things of generations before us and incorporate them into our 21st century lives. Take time for a slow dance, and don't be afraid to dress to the nines. These simple joys add up to a happier you in the end.

Anyone else out there an old soul? 



No comments:

Post a Comment