Pages

Friday, September 8, 2017

Summer Reading Roundup

Assisted by John Stockton
This autobiography was straight up delightful. It feels as if you're having a leisurely lunch with sweet, humble John, swapping stories and reminiscing. Learning more about his life, his roots, and his priorities made me respect him--both his character and his game--even more.

Ghost Boy by Martin Pistorius
I heard about this book on a podcast and it's a truly miraculous story. Mr. Pistorius offers his entirely unique perspective from inside a body that betrayed him for over a decade, and a world that treated him as an empty shell while he watched helplessly...until he slowly but surely learned to communicate again. It's almost unbelievable...almost.

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
I'd been hearing about this novel for about a year and thought I'd finally give it a go, and I can't believe I waited this long to read it! It takes place throughout WWII from the perspectives of two children on opposite sides of the war. I was enthralled with the language and always guessing how their stories would intersect. This work by Doerr is fascinating, deeply moving, and beautiful. Read it ASAP.

The Magnolia Story by Chip and Joanna Gaines
Their HGTV show Fixer Upper has housewives all over America planning trips to Waco, Texas to see the silos and take photos with the darling couple. I listened to this audio book, narrated by Chip and Jo themselves, and fell even more in love with these hard working, fun loving, goodhearted people.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
I know, I know, I'm about a decade behind in reading this series. But, better late than never, right? I listened to the audio book narrated by Jim Dale and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it! As always, the book is better than the movie and I came to understand the characters on a much deeper level (which makes the sad parts even more devastating!). Y'all, I'm beginning to understand the fandom. Rowling is a wonderful writer with an intensely creative mind. It was a pleasure to listen to this story and I look forward to the rest of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment