Pages

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Musical Theater YouTube Finds

Where my Broadway geeks at?! Hollaaa! I love musical theater--it is so alive, full of electric energy and takes an unbelievable amount of talent. I will never get over it. For your viewing pleasure, I've assembled this list of the performances I keep going back to of our favorite songs from the stage. Granted, most of these aren't fabulous quality, but it doesn't matter because the performances are HIGH quality! 

Okay, I watched West Side Story (1961) for the first time the other week and was blown away! I understand now why it's immortal. All the snapping, tricky melodies and greased hair is so fantastic. The classic song "Maria" from the show has been stuck in my head for weeks. It's so darling! "All the beautiful sounds of the world in a single word...Maria." Hello, swoon! This performance, on the more operatic side, is powerful accompanied by a full orchestra. And, let's just say it, Julian is easy on the eyes in that old school bow tie. That last note?! Makes me hold my breath. Amazing.

This guy is a member of the Canadian Tenors, and his performance of this Les Miserables song is, hands-down, my favorite of all. His voice is silky but strong, and the emotion wraps you up in the story of a faithful father. It gives me chills, even after probably a hundred viewings. It's flawless.

I discovered Jeremy after watching The Last Five Years on Netflix earlier this year. Little did I know he's the original Jack Kelly in the Broadway production of Newsies! Dude is so talented. You can just feel his frustration when he sings "trapped where there ain't no future!" I really loved watching him get lost in this role of a New York kid who wants to get out.

If you only watch one of these, make it this one. Stephen Sondheim is a creative genius. He's famous for his complicated lyrics and unpredictable melodies, such as those found in Into the Woods. This gorgeous, captivating song was written by him and brilliantly performed by Jeremy at 54 Below. We watch as his heart is breaking and hear all the thoughts that come with it. Gah! I've watched this too many times to count. Gets me every time.

Shocker, more Jeremy! Guys, he's so versatile. This mash up of Cinderella's "Ten Minutes Ago" with "The Next Ten Minutes" from The Last Five Years is so charming (whoops, pun...I'm keeping it). It makes me grin and combines two lovely pieces. "Ella and Jaime foreva!"

Oh hey, Danny Zucco from Grease Live! Aaron Tveit is incredible at what he does, and I'm a big fan. This song is a little nostalgic for me, as I can clearly remember my choir director in high school performing it for us one day. It is hilarious and lively, then sneaks up on you in the end with all the feels. I know this song backwards and forwards, and I still tear up when he sings, "What if I start to need him...and he goes away?" My heart!

Which one is your favorite? Any suggestions of performances I've just gotta see?

No comments:

Post a Comment