Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Poor Little J Names

My coworker and I made an interesting discovery recently--most names that are just initials include the letter J. TJ, JJ, JD, DJ....the only name I could think of without a J was DW, the little sister from "Arthur." Seriously though, can you think of any, sans J?

This is so strange. Why don't people enjoy names that start with J enough to use the full name? Do that many people have parents or grandparents with J names that they want to pass on, but wish to avoid confusion?
Poor little J names! I'm sure they just want to be out where all the other names are--on office party name tags, cheesy birthday cards, or spelled out in balloons. Instead, they are shortened to only one letter and squished against another one. What a dang shame. I, for one, really like several J names. For instance, Josh, Jamie, Jordan, John--those are good, solid names! But alas, they don't always see the light of day.

Shout out to the forgotten J names: you still matter on the important stuff like driver's licenses and birth certificates! And to those with a J initial name, we still like you, it's cool.

4 comments:

  1. A.I for Allen Iverson

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fairly common for me to answer to DC in high school and one of my best friend often went by DB. My brother also went by MC pretty regularly, granted none of these appellations lasted (or at least remained common) as we all individually progressed to adulthood.

    Also does referring to Durant as KD and Chris Paul as CP3 not count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey friend! Well, I see what you mean, and a lot of people, especially athletes, abbreviate by using the first letter of their first and last names, respectively. However, I was wondering more along the lines of first name abbreviations, meaning first name + middle name. But, you have a good point. Those are famous, but not common since they're so specific to one person. Ya know what I mean? Thanks for reading my little blog!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete