Pages

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

One of the Guys

I experienced elementary school largely in the same "sport girl" Nike t-shirt and ponytail, playing basketball and soccer with the boys at recess. It wasn't until middle school that it occurred to me that my hair could do other things, that my ratty t-shirt wasn't going to last forever, and that makeup was kind of fun. I also grew up with only brothers and played sports for as long as I can remember. This, inevitably, molded me into one of those girls that can be "one of the guys". I often met friends through pick-up basketball or because they had seen me play for our school team. My general knowledge of a few different sports makes me easy to relate to and gives us instant common ground.

Yes, there are some nice advantages that come with feeling like one of the guys, such as these:
  • I can hook my friends up
  • Get to see their soft side
  • Don't feel the need to dress up or make too many plans
  • They grow to be protective of you
  • They're pleasantly surprised to see you all cleaned up and pretty
  • Hear more of their side on dating and relationship matters
  • Sometimes, they buy your food
  • Real talk. No beating around the bush that is your feelings (it may feel like a con, but it's a pro in the end)
However, there are some not-so-awesome sides to it, including:
  • No filter on their jokes (most of the time)
  • Them forgetting you're a lady
  • Being seen in a "little sister" light (ugh)
  • FRIEND ZONE
  • You get made fun of for any girly behavior

Furthermore, I think there is a misconception that since a specific girl can hang with the guys, all said guys want to date her. Oh, if only that were true! Other women tend to assume that because a girl can talk to men fairly easily, that she has her pick of them and you can count on her to bring all the guys to a party. It's just kinda silly and not true with most people. BuzzFeed knows what I'm talking about, check out this video.

I have to end with a shout out, though, to all my fellas. Having so many wonderful men in my life is the greatest and I love 'em all like crazy. They help me chill out, laugh at myself, and make me a better basketball player. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment